recent question

Hello list,

Here are two "recent" rules:

/usr/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 25 -m recent \
  --update --seconds 60 --hitcount 5 --name smtp -j LOG_REJECT

/usr/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 25 -m recent --set \
  --name smtp -j ACCEPT

When telnetting for the first time to port 25, the source ip appears in

/proc/net/xt_recent/smtp

So far, so good. But there are 100 entries according to the manpage:

$ wc -l /proc/net/xt_recent/smtp
100

Correct. OTOH, I'm sure that within seconds the 100 entries will be
exceeded, according to the number of connections set up to the smtp
server:

# tcpdump -ni eth0 \
  'dst host 10.1.193.3 and tcp port 25 and tcp[13] == 2'
(outputs a few per second)

And according to /proc/net/ip_conntrack there are more than 100 entries
to 25/tcp.

Where are the entries 101 and higher in /proc/net/xt_recent/smtp?
Are they ignored? Or is the oldest automagically purged?

And when is an entry purged when the --reap is not used? Or does it
behave like a round robin FIFO?

R.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak
aloud and remove all doubt.