conntrackd failback problem

Hi,

I am building a 2-node cluster of bridging firewalls (filtering on br0 bridge device with no IP address configured). Instead of keepalived and friends I am simply using Spanning Tree Protocol to fail over to slave bridge and fail back to the master. This works great, 10-seconds of switchover time is acceptable for me.

I want to have stateful firewall cluster, so that's why I am trying to use conntrackd to sync state between the two nodes. It works when the fail over occurs since the states are synced at that time (all the states which are bound at the time when both nodes are up, show up on both nodes). If the master node goes down, the STP does the switch and since the states are in place, everything works fine. However, when the master node comes back again, the STP does the failback, but the states are not synced back to the master by conntrackd.

How to fix this? Is there any better, more "proper" way to make a cluster of bridging firewalls?

Thanks,
Nejc