Conntrack & Unreplied exhausts hashsize

Hi everyone,

I'm analyzing a configuration problem that we are encountering with conntrack at work. We have a farm of frontend servers that run apache. Those servers run into the classical table full problem:

Jun 5 09:57:51 web-front1 kernel: [7177214.445925] nf_conntrack: table full, dropping packet.

So I started tuning the kernel of one member of the farm. This server has 2 interfaces: one public and one in the LAN. The problem is on the public interface, it seems that connections in the UNREPLIED state continue to grow and never get cleaned up by conntrack. Below is a diagram that shows the issue:

http://4u.1nw.eu/conntrack_stat3.png

The orange line counts connections on the public IP that are in the unreplied state. The script parses /etc/net/ip_conntrack every 10 minutes (nothing fancy, see https://gist.github.com/2901349 ).

My questions are:

Should these UNREPLIED connection get removed from conntrack after a certain timeout?

What is the parameter that controls this timeout ?
I'm afraid it might be `net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_established = 432000`, which is 5 days. If this is the case, would it be safe to set this parameter to 300 seconds instead (5 minutes) ?

Note: apache runs with `KeepAlive On` and `KeepAliveTimeout 3`, in case this might be relevant.

Thanks a lot,
Julien

--
Julien Vehent - http://1nw.eu/!j