Re: Virtual packet tracer for iptables

> But you do not have to enable TRACE for all your sessions, only
> the informations you are looking for.

Hi,

Yes, that's true, TRACE does not have to be enabled for all sessions.
But with TRACE I rely on real traffic and there is some interaction
necessary to create such traffic (if multiple parties are involved).

The idea I have is a bit the same as with routing. If I want to know
where a packet is routed to, then I use 'ip route get <dst_ip>' and
can even add other information such as incoming interface, source IP
address, FWMARK, etc. to consider my routing policy.
I don't wait or look for traffic that matches my requirements and
check with tcpdump where it is routed to - I ask the system for the
action based on my input.

It would be great to have a similar mechanism with iptables.

Best regards
Stefan Keller

--
stefan keller