Need help in usage of netfilters : SIP Conn track/Nat

Hi,

 My aim is to a) modify IP Addresses of some SIP headers and SDP
message headers ( as SIP traffic passes across my node) and b) also to
capture values from some of them. [Basically I want to develop a SIP
ALG].

 After exploring further, I found that 'SIP connection tracking/NAT'
netfilters might help me in achieving this.
 I have enabled Kernal Loadable Modules "nf_conntrack_sip" and
"nf_nat_sip" in my kernel.

 What I want to know now is--

 1. Is it already proven and tried fact that I can use above KLMs for
achieving my purpose?

 2. If I need to 'use' these netfilters how to use them? Should I need
to run IPTABLES commands from userspace and refer someway to this
netfilters ? Any sample commands??

 Or 3. Should I need to create a KLM module in kernel space and
directly call the APIs available in those netfilters modules [ e.g
..net/ipv4/netfilter/nf_nat_sip.c and
../net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_sip.c] ?

 If that is the case, how can I pass those captured information
towards userspace application?

 or 4. Is there any alternative way to achieve above, that you are
aware of in kernel or userspace ?

 My kernel details:- Monta vista linux, Release 2.6.32.46 for mips64.
[ I am new to kernel programming though I am from SIP background ;
hence my questions might involve very basic concepts , apologies for
that :) ]
Waiting for your suggestions.

 Regards

 Honsha