How to install xtables extension to arbitrary path when cross compiling iptables?

how to install xtables extension to arbitrary path when cross compiling?

I have this issue, which I cannot resolve,
when cross compiling iptables 1.4.8
with
./configure --prefix=/home/kevin/fs/test1_iptables ...
and running afterwards make and make install, and then

on the target machine (which access the fs by NFS) I run:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j SNAT -s 10.1.1.25
The error I get is:

./iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -j SNAT
iptables v1.4.8: Couldn't load target `SNAT'
:/home/kevin/fs/test1_iptables/libexec/xtables/libipt_SNAT.so: cannot open

Of course I don't have /home/kevin/fs/ on the boards (this path is on the machine
on which I ran the cross compile).
I saw
this post in gmane.comp.security.firewalls.netfilter.general.
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.firewalls.netfilter.general/40914

but it seems that the problem persists.

I tried also to work with DESTDIR and with other ideas from this post, but
nothing helped.

What is the problem here, does anybody know ? I believe that cross compiling
iptables and setting a path to xtables libs not to an absolute path
is possible. Any ideas ?