ipset causes reverse dns lookups?

Hi, ipset appears to require a reverse dns lookup for say:

    ipset create cp bitmap:ip,mac range 192.168.111.0/24

Why?

In particular if I lock down iptables (-P DROP), then the above command takes quite some seconds to complete, rather than instantly if I open up iptables. This is causing me some problems with startup scripts

Am I missing some configuration option? Is this a bug? Why is a reverse DNS lookup needed?

ipset 6.9.1, kernel 3.2.13

Thanks

Ed W