Re: Iptables "-m time" option doesn't update when the clock changes

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 08:57:28PM +0100, Sebastian Arcus wrote:
> On 29/03/12 14:45, /dev/rob0 wrote:
> >On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 11:21:55AM +0100, Sebastian Arcus wrote:
> >>On 29/03/12 11:00, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> >></snip>
> >>>
> >>Thanks for taking the time to give a detailed reply. Just to
> >>make sure I understand correctly - would this mean that there is
> >>no reliable way to run time based iptables rules and have them
> >>keep up with DST changes correctly and automatically - without
> >>restarting the machine when the DST kicks in or out?
> >
> >Restarting the machine? Blasphemy!
> >
> >Why not simply reload the firewall rules?
> >
> >A simple at(1) job on the DST-to-standard and standard-to-DST
> >dates to reload the rules, either using your distro's firewall
> >management tools, or pipe iptables-save to iptables-restore
> >(substituting for the changed times), ought to do the job just
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >fine.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. However, restarting the firewall (which
> flushes and re-writes the rules) makes absolutely no difference. I

Did you substitute the changed time? I don't see how using different
times in your rules would make no difference. Indeed, if not changing
times, reloading the same rules would make no difference.

> have to actually restart the machine for the rules to behave
> according to the correct time. Maybe there is something wrong with
> the way Slackware updates the kernel TZ - as per Jan's post. I've
> posted to the Slackware list on linuxquestions.org to see if
> anybody knows more.

If we can figure out what needs to be done on the Slackware side,
this probably will be fixed. I think maybe "hwclock --utc --systz"
would do it in a weekly cron job. (Of course also reading the value
set in /etc/hardwareclock and not running for those misguided souls
who use --localtime for their hwclock.)

I'm not sure that this is the fix, however; hwclock(8) isn't clear
(to me) about setting the kernel's TZ.