Re: comments about local loopback interface rule granularity

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 02:28:00PM +0000, paddy joesoap wrote:
> What is the correct local loopback iptables rules for a single
> hosted firewall (laptop)?

"Correct" might vary by needs, don't you think?

> I often see the following:
>
> iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT

This is generally a good idea.

> iptables -A OUTPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT
>
> where a default DROP policy is applied to both INPUT and
> OUTPUT chains.

rob0 rule of thumb: if you have to ask for help to make it work, you
don't need and shouldn't use OUTPUT filtering. Just say no to DROP.

> I notice with this configuration I can ping the localhost
> (as expected) but I also can ping the local IP address of the
> machine!
>
> Why is this this the case with respect to the local IP address?

When a local process tries to reach a locally-bound IP address, the
packets therefrom are routed through the loopback interface.

> Is this the correct set of rules?
>
> iptables -A INPUT -i lo -s 127.0.0.1 -j ACCEPT
> iptables -A OUTPUT -o lo -d 127.0.0.1 -j ACCEPT
>
> With this configuration I can ping the localhost (as expected)
> but NOT also ping the local IP address of the machine :-)

If that's what you want for some reason, I suppose it's correct for
you. I don't see the point.

> The loacal IP address of the machine is tied to a real
> interface such as eth0 and therefore no ping packets this time
> as expected.
>
> I presume the only traffic that should ever communicate with
> the "lo" interface is traffic to and from IP address 127.0.0.1.

Why? The folks who designed your kernel's IP stack did not agree.