Re: load-balancing router: trouble with breaking connections

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 21:46:40 -0600, Brian Austin - Standard Universal <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,
you need to restore marks to packets from the local machine too.. or its
sessions will be messed up.
first line in mangle output should be

iptables -t mangle -A OUTPUT -j CONNMARK --restore-mark;

I believe conntrack replaces the route cache function entirely for
session persistence.

cheers

Thanks for your comment.  I do --restore-mark for OUTPUT as well, although I didn't mention it in my post.

The main point of my post was to show how load-balancing can be done using the route cache to choose a route based on previous routing, and use conntrack to keep packets on the same interfaces.

It may be that there is confusion about my use of the word "session."  I am not referring to keeping all packets belonging to the same *connection* on the same interface, but rather to keeping a series of connections by a user to the same destination on the same interface.

In my experience the only practical way to achieve session persistence is to allow the route cache to choose the route (and therefore the outbound interface).  When I ran a load-balancing router that ignored the route cache, using the statistics module in "probability" mode to choose an outbound interface at random, marking packets with connmark, I got beautiful load-balancing, but sessions (not connections) were broken constantly.  That is, websites that expected a logged-in user to keep the same IP number gave endless trouble.  Interestingly, most banking sites don't have a problem with this (although PayPal does).

--
Lloyd