Re: increase the number of routing tables

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 19:57:20 +0100 (CET)
Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Actually, what Ed (and me too) was wondering about was:
> >>
> >> why does `ip route show table $[0x80000000]` not print an empty table,
> >> i.e. where is it that some code uses int/s32 during parsing of
> >> the argument and/or the RTA_TABLE attribute?
> >
> >There are lots of places internally in ip utilities that use u32
> >for route table. But the route input/output message format is still limited
> >to 8 bits.
>
> But then, adding a rule to table 258 would make it show up in table 2 as
> well, which is not the case.

Ok, drilling deeper, overlooked the extended table support.
Tables >= 256 are handled by setting rtm_table to RT_TABLE_UNSPEC and
sending a RTA_TABLE attribute.
Therefore it has worked for quite a while.

But, I also see code in other utilities (like net-snmp and quagga)
which don't know about how to handle tables other than main. But
that is a different issue.