[iptables] Implement huge amount of iptables make system crash

Hello everyone,

I recently tested a new environment to account some traffic on my
network with some iptables rules

1) I have got 2 rules (one for in and one for out stream) per IP I want
to account. Since I account some contiguous adresses I wondered if a
binary tree starting with the first IP of my /19 and then chaining
through different tables to reach a single IP leaf will result in a
logarithmic complexity rather than linear…
So far I am adding the whole set of rules with a perl script using
libiptc to commit only once the rules to netfilter.

2) These ~62k rules are not really significant for the load of my
firewall. But unfortunately, I had sometimes in my tests to manage some big
failures, where an iptables command (-Z, -A or -L) is stuck on the system
and then one of my cores is used at 100% and the load increases, and generally
I get this kernel alert :
http://pastebin.com/F1DL7ZZT

Any advice, or explanation will be great for my new installation !

Thanks,

--
Léo Cavaillé