Re: Removing VLAN tag from outgoing broadcasts

> I think I was not clear enough... :D
>
> So, if you send out the packets without any VLAN tags then they will not be
> seen on your tagged VLANs...
>
> Imagine the whole VLAN thing as the following:
> - You can slice up your real LAN to smaller VLANs.. :D
> - You can connect to these networks with only ONE cable... (From the
> switch's pov: this is a port.)
> - On the port there may be many tagged VLANs...
> - And there may be AN untagged VLAN... (Forget about "General ports" !!!)
> - If the port is "Access port" then it can only send/receive to one untagged
> VLAN (The tagging is managed internally by the switch.)
> - If the port is "Trunk port" then you can do the tagging magic... One
> untagged and many tagged VLANs on this port...
>
> So far this is what you have...
> Now if you want to remove the tags then let the switch do the job for you...
> (AFAIK the switch will remove/insert the specific VLAN id of the packets if
> the port is an Access port...)
>
> I would do this:
> port 1 (you) : Trunk port, VLAN 1 untagged, VLAN 2049 tagged, VLAN 2050
> tagged
> port 2 (network 2049) : Access port, VLAN 2049 untagged
> port 3 (network 2050) : Access port, VLAN 2050 untagged
>

> Maybe you can find more info in the 4th message in this topic:
> http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Switches/access-general-or-trunk-Tagged-or-not-Getting-desperate/td-p/161352
>
> Swifty

Thanks for your patience.  I should provide more information.  My
current setup works as you describe.  eth2 is behaving as a trunk with
the two tagged VLANs and one native (untagged) VLAN.  I can connect to
a managed switch and separate the various VLAN traffic, including the
native "untagged" VLAN.  All is well there.

Now I need to connect eth2 directly to a (non-standard) device (don't
ask :) that will take care of the broadcasts, but they must be
untagged.  So I was hoping to create a rule that would essentially
direct the outgoing VLAN-tagged broadcasts to the native VLAN
(untagged).

Thanks,
-Mike