Re: Removing VLAN tag from outgoing broadcasts

Hi Mike,

I've set up a Linux (Ubuntu 10.04) server with multiple VLANs.
Routing is enabled for all interfaces.  The 'eth2' interface is
basically used as a VLAN trunk:

The setup appears to work fine.  Now, for reasons beyond my control, I
must change the behavior so all outgoing broadcast/multicast packets
are sent untagged (regardless of their source).  I'm hoping that this
would be possible with ebtables, but not being very familiar with it
yet I was hoping for some guidance.  Is this possible?
I do not understand you...

If you remove the VLAN tags then how would your switch (or any other network device) know where/whom the packets belonging to?!? There "must" be an untagged VLAN in your network... So every untagged packet will go that way... Every tagged packet will go to its own network...

You signal with the VLAN tag that you want to sent a packet to a network...

But maybe I am wrong... :D

Swifty