Re: [SOLVED] Routing locally generated traffic on fwmark

On 29/09/2011 09:29, Pandu Poluan wrote:
> That's why I now no longer write iptables commands directly on the
> shell. I keep my firewall rules in a file /etc/opt/firewall, and if I
> need to add new rules, I just do: `vi /etc/opt/firewall &&
> iptables-restore < /etc/opt/firewall`
>
> (Of course, to seed the file I'd do `iptables-save > /etc/opt/firewall` )
>
> This has the added benefit of allowing me to document all firewall
> changes by doing `hg commit` followed by `hg push` to a local
> Mercurial repository.
>
> (The reason why I put the rules in /etc/opt instead of /etc is so that
> I don't have to create an .hgignore file)

Can I also leave a plug for shorewall for similar reasons.  It is a
fairly thin wrapper over iptables (etc), but it allows you to think at a
slightly higher level and wraps things such as setting/restoring fwmarks
and routing, breaks them out from the general access rules.

I find it picks a very nice level between firewall guis and raw editing
of iptables commands.  Give it a try.

Also it's text file based so it's very easy to track via some source
code control system

Cheers

Ed W