Re: Routing locally generated traffic on fwmark

On Wed, 2011-09-28 at 23:20 +0100, Andrew Beverley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to route locally generated traffic via a particular interface
> based on its mark value.
>
> From what I have researched, this is theoretically possible and lots of
> people have tried it, but nobody has got it working.
>
> Here's my rules:
>
> # Mark the packets
> iptables -A OUTPUT -t mangle -d 89.16.176.81 -j MARK --set-mark 0x800
>
> # Route the marked packets via routing table T2:
> ip rule add fwmark 0x800/0xffff table T2
>
> # Force T2 packets out of the interface ppp1
> ip route add table T2 default dev ppp1 via 94.30.127.76
>
> # Flush the cache, just in case
> ip route flush cache
>
> However, the packets still go out of the default route (ppp0).

I've also added the following, which makes no difference:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp1 \
	-j SNAT --to-source 109.224.134.110

And I've done a test with:

ip rule add to 89.16.176.81 table T2

which *does* work.

So, I assume the problem is that the packet is marked too late to affect
the routing. Looking at the packet flow diagram[1] though, there should
be a re-route check after the mangle table, which should re-route if a
packet's mark has changed. Does this feature need enabling?

Andy

[1] http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/Netfilter-packet-flow.svg