Re: debug iptables rules

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the TRACE option.
It's used in the 'raw' table, applied to the PREROUTING chain, I
believe.  Every packet that matches/is marked by the TRACE option gets
logged as it traverses every subsequent rule that it matches.  I believe
it also shows when enters and exits a chain, regardless of matching
rules within it.

It's perfect for tracing initial connection packets (e.g. SYN-only)
through all your filters and nat chains.  It can generate LOTS of
logging traffic if you're not careful.