Re: Could Cogent be doing packet mangling that would confuse Netfilter about interfaces?

On Mon, 2011-08-15 at 16:33 -0400, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 10:52:35AM -0700, Tom Eastep wrote:
>
> > On Aug 15, 2011, at 10:13 AM, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
>
> > > We're now seeing the same behavior from both iptables 1.4.8 on Debian
> > > Squeeze and 1.3.8 on Ubuntu 8.04 (on totally different hardware). The common
> > > factor is that this is all traffic coming in via our Cogent pipe. When
> > > traffic comes in via either of our two other Speakeasy/Megapath pipes
> > > Netfilter sees all the interface specifications correctly.
> >
> > This behavior is usually a sign that your Cogent external firewall
> > interface and and your internal firewall interface have accidentally
> > become part of the same broadcast domain. I would look for mis-cabling and
> > for erroneous VLAN configuration.

Whit,

I don't have time ATM to give you detailed help, but
http://www.shorewall.net/FoolsFirewall.html#id36131257 explains what
happens when two firewall interfaces are effectively connected to the
same ethernet network. That may help you figure out where the problem
is.

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep        \ When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather who
Shoreline,         \ died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like