Re: Could Cogent be doing packet mangling that would confuse Netfilter about interfaces?

On Aug 15, 2011, at 10:13 AM, Whit Blauvelt wrote:

> This is related to a couple of messages I sent to the list 3 weeks ago, with
> some additional information. The basic problem is that Netfilter is seeing
> some traffic lately as coming in on the wrong interface, which we notice
> when that traffic gets blocked or gets by when it shouldn't, since some of
> our rules specify interfaces.
>
> We're now seeing the same behavior from both iptables 1.4.8 on Debian
> Squeeze and 1.3.8 on Ubuntu 8.04 (on totally different hardware). The common
> factor is that this is all traffic coming in via our Cogent pipe. When
> traffic comes in via either of our two other Speakeasy/Megapath pipes
> Netfilter sees all the interface specifications correctly.

This behavior is usually a sign that your Cogent external firewall interface and and your internal firewall interface have accidentally become part of the same broadcast domain. I would look for mis-cabling and for erroneous VLAN configuration.

-Tom

Tom Eastep        \ When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather who
Shoreline,         \ died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like
Washington, USA     \ all of the passengers in his car