Re: Proxy Filter iptable Settings

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 09:02:55AM +0100, Andrew Beverley wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 16:43 -0500, Mike Hendrie wrote:
> > All users can get to Google and do searches just fine. I am
> > having funny issues with the a couple of application.
> >
> > I do not understand why I am having the below issues. Could this
> > be because of the iptables?
>
> Probably, although I would say more accurately because of UFW.
> It's quite difficult to diagnose problems with automatically
> generated iptables rules.

Indeed, and users of such rulesets should be asking elsewhere (at the
provider of the ruleset) for support.

> I would say you are better off disabling UFW, and starting with
> just the rules you need to get everything working:

Yes, but iptables-restore(8) is the recommended means to apply a
ruleset.

> # Flush all tables
> iptables -t nat -F
> iptables -t mangle -F
> iptables -t filter -F
>
> # Set the default policy to ACCEPT:
> iptables -P PREROUTING ACCEPT

The default table, filter, does not have a PREROUTING chain.

> iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
> iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
> iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
> iptables -P POSTROUTING ACCEPT

The default table, filter, does not have a POSTROUTING chain.

> # Enable packet forwarding:
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>
> # Setup NAT:
> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o $ext_IF -j MASQUERADE
>
> Once that works, you can then start blocking ports.
>
> > - There is FileMaker application that uses ports 5000 - 5005 to
> > connect to an external server that cannot find the external server.
> > ??StatefulNAT translation.??
>
> Looking at the following website, you'll need to allow more than just
> those ports:
>
> http://sixfriedrice.com/wp/filemaker-firewall/
>
> But, as above, get the firewall working with all ports open, and
> then start closing them.

Otherwise I agree with what you have said.