Re: How can I test my tc script?

On Sun, 2011-02-06 at 19:27 -0400, Optimum Wireless Services wrote:
> I just added those prioritising rules so, I will be removing them
> immediately. Is hard to really notice how the ruleset are working since
> there isn't an utility that can graph or show the actual traffic. I was
> looking for tc-viewer but, can't find a link where to download it from.

http://files.andybev.com/web-portal/tc-viewer

tc-viewer --iface=eth0 --zero --counter=1 --unit=kbit

> > So you would need separate classes for users and traffic type. They'd
> > have to be parents/children of each other, but which way round and how
> > you would do it I do not know.
> >

> I figured I added the prio rules to the same parent rule I already had.
> Thought that was the correct way to do it. So, I should create another
> parent rule for ie; 3, and add the children under that to do traffic
> prioritizing.

Something like that, but you'll have problems sharing traffic between
the different classes (classes for different IP addresses and traffic
for different priorities). That's why I say that I don't know how to do
it myself.

> > So, try the per user stuff on its own first. Maybe try the traffic
> > prioritisation on its own as well. Check the results and take it from
> > there.
> >
> > BTW - I don't think the traffic prioritisation scripts you posted will
> > have much affect anyway: they are only really looking at DNS lookups and
> > SSH, which isn't going to solve your problems.
> >

> I wanted to speed up dns lookups, icmps, SYN ACK flags, and ssh, for now
> and later on add voip since I have an asterisk server on our network as
> well.
>
> I will remove the prioritising script and leave the last created ruleset
> and see how things behave.

If you give me a few days I'll send you through my traffic
prioritisation script. It won't give you the per-user limit, but I can
almost guarantee that it will give everyone faster access, so you can at
least use it for a comparison to see what is possible.

Andy