Re: How can I test my tc script?

Thanks again for replying.

On Sun, 2011-02-06 at 17:02 +0000, Andrew Beverley wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-02-06 at 12:35 -0400, Optimum Wireless Services wrote:
> > >
> > > I think that you should forget the per-user stuff as per my other email
> > > and classify traffic. Just my personal opinion - I'd be interested to
> > > hear what others think.
> >
> > I just need a way that would allow users to experience a reliable
> > connection that would always be 15% +- the contracted bandwidth.
> >

> You could buy some more upstream bandwidth ;-)

I wish we could buy more bandwidth but, is extremely expensive where I'm
at (Dominican Republic).

> Have you tried the scripts that Marek posted? That's your answer to
> limit per user.

Havent tried that script yet, will be doing so, later tonight or
tomorrow.

> > This turned to be more complicated than what I first thought.
> >
> > After adding the new ruleset, I added this little script to try to
> > prioritize some traffic, just installed it so, don't know yet how would
> > traffic behave:
>
> <snip>
>
> Herein lies your problem. If you want to prioritise traffic *and* limit
> per user, then it starts to get complicated. The rules that you posted
> will indeed rate limit different types of traffic, but you would need to
> do these in conjunction with your other HTB rules for the different
> users.

I just added those prioritising rules so, I will be removing them
immediately. Is hard to really notice how the ruleset are working since
there isn't an utility that can graph or show the actual traffic. I was
looking for tc-viewer but, can't find a link where to download it from.

> So you would need separate classes for users and traffic type. They'd
> have to be parents/children of each other, but which way round and how
> you would do it I do not know.

I figured I added the prio rules to the same parent rule I already had.
Thought that was the correct way to do it. So, I should create another
parent rule for ie; 3, and add the children under that to do traffic
prioritizing.

> All I'm saying is that you need to take this one step at a time. Getting
> a magic solution that does everything is not going to happen straight
> away (unless somebody tells me otherwise).

I agree with you.

> So, try the per user stuff on its own first. Maybe try the traffic
> prioritisation on its own as well. Check the results and take it from
> there.
>
> BTW - I don't think the traffic prioritisation scripts you posted will
> have much affect anyway: they are only really looking at DNS lookups and
> SSH, which isn't going to solve your problems.

I wanted to speed up dns lookups, icmps, SYN ACK flags, and ssh, for now
and later on add voip since I have an asterisk server on our network as
well.

I will remove the prioritising script and leave the last created ruleset
and see how things behave.