Re: [HELP] why the string match does not work in nat tables?

hello Pablo

i have two more questions

You should use the string match in the filter or raw tables.

and second,
i think some people might also want such a functionality like what i
want to do,
redirection some connection to other server judging from its TCP
contents infomation.
[in this case, the URI  infomation of the HTTP transaction]
i want to know how you think about ..

previously thanks ~
First of all: This question has been answered many times... Here on the list and you can find it in other online documentation.

Please understand that the nat table sees only the first packet of the whole connection. This is by design. (There is no need for the judgement of the nat table when we already know how to handle the connection...)

The string match is much like a toy and not a real help in the iptables. (Sorry, I do not really "believe" in this match. But also I understand the need for such match. Sometimes it can be very usefull.) As already mentioned before, the main problem is the fragmentation.

For your needs: please use a proxy. In your case iptables is not the right tool.

Swifty