Re: POSTROUTING SNAT only reply packets

On 17/01/2011 12:36, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Monday 2011-01-17 11:55, Giles Coochey wrote:
You should do all of the NAT-ing ON THE LOAD BALANCER:

I have to agree - if you are doing NAT you want to avoid any type of asymmetric
routing - especially you NEED to make sure that the device that is doing the
NAT (be it for load balancing or other reasons) receives the return packets.
Not strictly. You could utilize a second device whose CTs are synchronized
with the LB to apply the reverse transform, using conntrackd.
Sort of like

digraph { internet ->  lb; lb ->  web; web ->  unnat; unnat ->  internet; };

but it only looks feasible to me if your LB is already computationally
crowded.
--
It also requires the loadbalancer to be using netfilter as well.

If it's a hardware load balancer with proprietary methods then you will need symmetric routing through it, unless it supports some form of TCP state sharing.

--
Best Regards,

Giles Coochey
NetSecSpec Ltd