Re: POSTROUTING SNAT only reply packets

Hi,

I've doing some testing and seems that iptables only do SNAT on NEW connections, and I need to change the ip address of replied packets. Anybody know some workaround? If anobody do not know some workaround can you confirm that it's not posible to do this with iptables?

read again the NAT part in the manual:
man iptables

nat table:
              nat:
This table is consulted when a packet that creates a new connection is encountered. It consists of three built-ins: PREROUTING (for altering packets as soon as they come in), OUTPUT (for altering locally-gener- ated packets before routing), and POSTROUTING (for altering packets as they are about to go out).

DNAT target:

   DNAT
This target is only valid in the nat table, in the PREROUTING and OUTPUT chains, and user-defined chains which are only called from those chains. It specifies that the destination address of the packet should be modified (and all future packets in this connection will also be mangled), and rules should cease being examined. It takes one type of option:

SNAT target:

   SNAT
This target is only valid in the nat table, in the POSTROUTING chain. It specifies that the source address of the packet should be modified (and all future packets in this connection will also be mangled), and rules should
       cease being examined.  It takes one type of option:

I've tried the next ip tables rules and only work when I do NEW connections from the web server.

-A POSTROUTING -o br0 -s WE_SERVER_ADDR -p tcp -m tcp --sport 80 --dport 1024:65535 -j SNAT --to-source LOAD_BALANCER_ADDR

Thanks in advance.

Isaac González

You should do all of the NAT-ing ON THE LOAD BALANCER:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -j DNAT -p tcp --dport 80 --to-destination WEBSERVER1 (some load balancing options here) iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -j DNAT -p tcp --dport 80 --to-destination WEBSERVER2 (some load balancing options here)

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j SNAT -p tcp --dport 80 -d WEBSERVER1 --to-source BALANCER_IP_ON_WEBSERVER1_NET iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j SNAT -p tcp --dport 80 -d WEBSERVER1 --to-source BALANCER_IP_ON_WEBSERVER2_NET

But some other rules may be in effect....

Swifty