Re: Re-route non-http traffic

On 01/11/10 15:51, Robert Pipca wrote:
Hi,

I'm using squid as a webcache in bridge-mode.

I use ebtables on tcp/80 to get the http traffic.

The thing is: this is an ISP, so some clients are companies that use
tcp/80 to non-http traffic (proprietary protocols mostly, eg.
biometric identification machines on a medical institution, for
instance).

So my question is: Since I can know what's the dst IP when the
connection arrives on netfilter, can I do something like:

"redirect this to the squid port, but save the destination IP".

If squid sees this is not http-traffic, sends the connection to _that_
saved destination IP...and everybody is happy.

Is it possible currently?  Or is some coding necessary? We can help with that..

That is not possible at all. No "currently" about it.

You have to detect and bypass the connections before attempting to redirect to Squid. Once the first identifiable byte of non-HTTP hits Squid the TCP setup packets are already long gone. Depending on the data up to 64KB may also have already flowed through the connection.

AYJ