Re: QoS weirdness : HTB accuracy

Quoting "Andrew Beverley" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 18:07 +0300, Jussi Kivilinna wrote:

>>> I am seeing similar behaviour with my setup. Am I making the same
>>> mistake? A subset of my rules is as follows:
>>>
>>> tc qdisc add dev ppp0 root handle 1: htb r2q 1
>>>
>>> tc class add dev ppp0 parent 1: classid 1:1 htb \
>>>    rate ${DOWNLINK}kbit ceil ${DOWNLINK}kbit \
>>>    overhead $overhead linklayer atm                   <------- Here
>>>
>>> tc class add dev ppp0 parent 1:1 classid 1:10 htb \
>>>    rate 612kbit ceil 612kbit prio 0 \
>>>    overhead $overhead linklayer atm                   <------- And here
>>>
>>> tc qdisc add dev ppp0 parent 1:10 handle 4210: \
>>>    sfq perturb 10 limit 50
>>>
>>> tc filter add dev ppp0 parent 1:0 protocol ip \
>>>    prio 10 handle 10 fw flowid 1:10
>>
>> I removed the overhead option on the first leaf, and the speeds change
>> to what I expect. However, the rules above are taken straight from the
>> ADSL Optimizer project, which was the source of the original overhead
>> patch for tc. So is the ADSL Optimizer project wrong?
>
> After looking at the HTB kernel code I believe that the ADSL
> Optimizer project is NOT wrong.  You should/must set the linklayer
> option on both the root class and leaf (else you would be charging
> the root/parent node too little).

It's been while I looked at the linklayer/size-table code, but if I
remember right overhead is calculated with first linklayer packet sees
in qdisc. So when packet goes to leaf with 'linklayer atm', packet get
packet size with overhead for ATM and root linklayer is not used for
that packet. Because of this you can have leafs with different
overheads (pppoe, ipv6-tunnel, etc, with ) and all get right
overhead... ..

..

...Uh oh...

HTB still has linklayer/overhead of its own, I was talking about the
generic linklayer code that can be used with all qdiscs. Never mind,
sorry.

Ah, I hadn't come across the tc-stab functionality until now. So that
does exactly the same for all qdiscs as the original ATM patch does for
HTB? But they work slightly differently as you have alluded to above?

Yes, tc-stab works with all qdiscs. Packet size is calculated everytime when qdisc_enqueue() is called and qdisc has size-table set. When none of qdiscs has size-table, packet size ends up being same as skb->len. So if leaf has size-table, that takes preference over earlier parent size-tables.

-Jussi