Re: Strange problem with HTTPS POST (maybe) through router from Linux

On Wednesday 09 Jun 2010 16:02:19 Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Wednesday 2010-06-09 15:41, Tvrtko Ursulin wrote:
> >> ICMP is not just ping, there is more like PMTUD and others.
> >> If PMTUD works on your side, you don't need TCPMSS.
> >
> >Is there a way to check that across the link? If my router has no ICMP
> >rules in iptables than should I suspect the ISP?
>
> 	ping -M do -s 9000 target
>
> From <router> icmp_seq=1 Frag needed and DF set (mtu = 1412)
>
> Then you retry with
>
> 	ping -M do -s $[1412-28] target
>
> and do that as long as Frag needed is outputted.
> That's basically manual PMTUD and allows you to see where
> MTU reduction along the route occurs.

Starting from mtu=1500 and testing with "ping -M do -s $[$mtu-28]
secure.tesco.com
", first value which does not need fragmentation is 1492 which is what the MTU
is set to the PPPoA interface on the router. Would that look like there is no
problem?

Sidenote - if I change the  PPPoA MTU on the router to 1462, which is
allegedly optimal for ATM, then the above ping test starts to pass only with
mtu=1462.

Does this make any sense? secure.tesco.com is the host browsers are waiting a
response from forever.. Am I misunderstanding the results of the ping test?

> >> Well try deactivating sack/dsack/fack then (that's in sysctl).
> >
> >On the router? Will try in the evening.
>
> No, on at least one of the end host(s).
> (Since you have control over your client, that shouldn't be a problem.)
>
> >What is puzzling me is that Windows clients work fine, even though
> >they also have MTU set to 1500. All I am reading about his issues
> >cannot explain this to me.
>
> That's why I suspected SACK issues. (Because SACK is too smart a
> technology to be usable in Windows ;-)

Unfortunately disabling all three on the client did not help. Plot thickens.
:)

Thanks for your help so far - I already learned a lot, including that I know
little. :)

Tvrtko