Re: Strange problem with HTTPS POST (maybe) through router from Linux

On Wednesday 2010-06-09 15:41, Tvrtko Ursulin wrote:

>> ICMP is not just ping, there is more like PMTUD and others.
>> If PMTUD works on your side, you don't need TCPMSS.
>
>Is there a way to check that across the link? If my router has no ICMP
>rules in iptables than should I suspect the ISP?

	ping -M do -s 9000 target

>From <router> icmp_seq=1 Frag needed and DF set (mtu = 1412)

Then you retry with

	ping -M do -s $[1412-28] target

and do that as long as Frag needed is outputted.
That's basically manual PMTUD and allows you to see where
MTU reduction along the route occurs.

>>>My clients are 2.6.31 - 2.6.34, but the router/firewall is running 2.6.21.5.
>>
>> Well try deactivating sack/dsack/fack then (that's in sysctl).
>
>On the router? Will try in the evening.

No, on at least one of the end host(s).
(Since you have control over your client, that shouldn't be a problem.)

>What is puzzling me is that Windows clients work fine, even though
>they also have MTU set to 1500. All I am reading about his issues
>cannot explain this to me.

That's why I suspected SACK issues. (Because SACK is too smart a
technology to be usable in Windows ;-)