Re: inadequate NEW, INVALID state definitions

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 5:31 PM, Jeremiah Crockett <jrmhcrcktt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've searched the list archives and googled available iptables documentation,
> but haven't yet found satisfactory explanations for iptables states, in

After talking to a colleague about a recent ruleset of mine, we came
to the same conclusion, i.e. the existing docs aren't very good at
explaining specifically what causes a packet to be marked one way or
another.  As one example of many, this doesn't seem to be complete, or
even necessarily correct:

http://www.faqs.org/docs/iptables/userlandstates.html

The problem is that a packet that is NEW could be marked INVALID due
to a problem within the packet, e.g. an impossible or
standards-noncompliant combination of flags, so the determination of
NEW is only made after INVALID, RELATED, and ESTABLISHED are shown to
not apply.  This is counter to a lot of documentation which starts by
mentioning NEW first, from which readers might infer that NEW packets
will never match INVALID because they were already marked NEW.

In short, I agree with Jeremiah in that a more complete description of
these states would be very useful.  "Go read the code" does not
suffice, but it's currently the only option.

--Mike