Re: iptables rules in comparable form

On Tuesday 2010-06-01 18:03, Radek Kanovsky wrote:

>I know that iptables-restore with 10000 rules on input is faster than
>10000 sequential "iptables -A ..." rules. It is obvious. But anyway it
>is sometimes slower than my one "iptables -D" command followed by one
>"iptables -A" command that both together reflect one particular change
>in ruleset that I am able to recognize with rule comparison. Especially
>under higher load. Reason is not obvious.

Look obvious to me. Under load, the execution time of a process can
arbitrarily be delayed by other processes. That isn't really a
surprise. The delay itself is even a function of that factor.

>I was forced also implement my
>own locking and memoization around iptables-save that prevents its
>concurrent invocation from accounting process.

Indeed, if iptables has to race with another instance of itself,
when replacing a table, it has to retry whole the operation.