Ingress shaping MARKed traffic using IFB

I would like to perform ingress shaping (using HTB) on packets that have
been MARKed in the filter table. Am I correct in saying that the only
way of accomplishing this is to use IMQ?

I would prefer to use a vanilla kernel (which excludes IMQ), but I think
the only potential solution (IFB) will only do that sort of ingress
shaping /before/ any iptables chains?

Thanks,

Andy