Re: DNAT issue (with added network diagram)

(apologies if you see this twice; I accidentally sent as HTML first.)

Add an /etc/hosts entry on cave that maps maar to 127.0.0.1? Not great
if you want cave to get to maar and you don't have an alternate set of
LAN addresses, I suppose.

If cave is trying to access XMPP on itself, then would it also want to
access HTTPS? If so, then bouncing traffic through maar seems like a
good thing.

For the direct answer you're looking for, though, are you saying the
direct approach doesn't work?:

  iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -p tcp -d maar --dport 443 -j DNAT
--to-destination localhost:5222

If you have all these public IPs, can't you get more than one for cave
and dispense with all of the NATting?