Re: Using iptables with high volume mail

> @thomas Thanks for those metrics.  We are looking to see if the connections per second is
> generated with our current devices.  What we do know is that our max
>outbound connections will get as high as 16000 for a period of time >
>(maybe 2-4 hours) and will occasionally burst up to around 20000.

I am guessing that means existing parallel connections, not new
connections per second (cps), the kind of server box I was referring
to can easily sustain millions of those, given enough
memory for the tables (The last number I remember was <300byte per
connection in the conntrack table + space for entries into the routing
cache for each different IP). Slabtop is your friend here.

What matters most is
what happens in each time slice, not so much how many connections
you have in the connection hash table (you can tune that table with
with /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_max
and /sys/module/ip_conntrack/parameters/hashsize).

> How does that compare to the metrics that you mentioned earlier?

Well, any Switch/Router with SNMP support allows you to track bytes and
packets per second, so you could collect some data on the current
situation with that (www.cacti.net is a very nice tool).

As for new connections per second, once you have the iptables box
running you can get this info with lnstat -f ip_conntrack/column new.

If you have a reasonably good switch/router in the datapath, you could
also use port mirroring to get a copy of the data stream and then
count all tcp/syn packets to port 25 to give you a rough idea
about the number of connections per second.

However, emails per time should be pretty much the same as connections
per time, unless you open several tcp connections over the nat box
for each email, and I see no reason why you would need to do that ;)