match for limit on bytes per second?

Hello,

I am looking for a way to throttle throughput:

1) globally as opposed to per interface

- AND -

2) in terms of bytes (or bits) per second as opposed to in terms of packets

Since the goal is a global limit and not a  per interface limit, as useful and powerful as tc is, tc does not appear to be an option so I am wondering if there is a way to do this using an iptables match.

The closest match I have found is the "limit" match but it seems to only deal with traffic at the packet level.

Is there an alternate match that can basically do what "limit" does (not necessarily using a token bucket filter implementation but that would probably be best) except in terms of bytes per second?

Thanks,

- Andrew