Re: Windows/NetBIOS & SNAT

> > Well, I think I've found part of the problem.  The
> > nf_conntrack_netbios_ns module only operates on port 137, not on port
> > 138.  I don't know exactly what the difference is, but it seems that all
> > my WINS queries are attempting to go across on port 138.
>
> Port 137 is NetBios Name Service.
> Port 138 is NetBios Datagram Service.
> WINS is supposed to be Microsoft's implementation of Netbios Name
> Service, so I am a bit surprised that WINS queries are sent on port 138.

Sorry, I was confused earlier - it actually isn't WINS traffic going over port 138, it's logon request traffic.  The WINS traffic is actually functioning correctly on port 137 - the WINS requests are sent & NAT'd correctly, and the responses are received.  For the logon traffic, I found that the NetBIOS Datagrams have the source IP & port embedded in the payload instead of just using the IP header information, which, I believe is what's causing problems for NetBIOS logons over NAT.  I'm guessing that the NT server receives the logon request, unpacks the data, and grabs the source IP & port embedded in the payload and uses that as the return destination rather than using the IP header information for that.

> [...]
> > As far as the nf_conntrack_nat_netbios_ns module goes, no, it doesn't
> > exist in the kernel,
>
> If it were to exist it would be named ip_nat_netbios_ns, not
> nf_conntrack_nat_netbios_ns. But IIUC the nf_conntrack_netbios_ns helper
> module was specifically designed to handle replies to broadcast NBNS
> queries, as the generic UDP conntrack handles only unicast, not
> broadcast (the unicast source address in the reply does not match the
> broadcast destination address in the query). There would be no point in
> a NAT helper module.
>
> > but I don't see any nf_conntrack_nat* modules their, either,
> > so I'm thinking that the standard nf_conntrack modules are supposed to
> > cover NAT
>
> No, there are dedicated NAT helper modules. Search for nf_nat_* instead.
>
> > in addition to standard routing.
>
> s/standard routing/connection tracking/

I'll look and see what I can find for nat modules - I did not see anything with *nat* in it in the net/netfilter directory in the Linux source tree.

Thanks,
Nick