Re:[possible solution] really need your help about iptables

J. Bakshi wrote:
> Oskar Berggren wrote:
>
>> Use a higher limit for SYN packets to those services. IIRC your
>> ruleset from before.
>>
>> /Oskar
>>

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for your hint. I have  googled based on your hint and found a lot
> of solution for rate limit incoming connection. one  ruleset  valid for
> me are
>
> ````````````````````````
>  iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 995 -i eth0 -m state --state NEW -m
> recent \
>   --set
>
> iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 995 -i eth0 -m state --state NEW -m
> recent \
>   --update --seconds 60 --hitcount 4 -j DROP
>
>  iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 995 -i eth0 -j ACCEPT
> `````````````````````````````````
>
> But the problem with my iptables is default policy--> drop.  I have also
> tested with
>
> ````````````
> iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -m state --state NEW -p tcp --dport 995 -m
> limit --limit 1/minute --limit-burst 2 -j ACCEPT
> ``````````
> This works fine and limiting the connection 1/min but  a brute force
> attack ( like nmap scan) make the port  not useable any more.
>
> What can be the solution for such an iptables ?
>
> Thanks

One possible solution might be for a default *dropped* firewall; placing
the incoming rate limit rules before syn flood protection and port
scanner protection rules. Like

````````````````````
rules set to make default polict drop

## limiting incoming pop3s connection
iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -m state --state NEW -p tcp --dport 995 -m
limit --limit 10/minute --limit-burst 2 -j ACCEPT

 limiting other incoming connection

ruleset for syn-flood  prevention

ruleset to delayed nmap scan etc...

Please suggest if my approach is right.