Re: really need your help about iptables

Oskar Berggren wrote:
> Use a higher limit for SYN packets to those services. IIRC your
> ruleset from before.
>
> /Oskar

Hello,

Thanks for your hint. I have  googled based on your hint and found a lot
of solution for rate limit incoming connection. one  ruleset  valid for
me are

````````````````````````
 iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 995 -i eth0 -m state --state NEW -m
recent \
  --set

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 995 -i eth0 -m state --state NEW -m
recent \
  --update --seconds 60 --hitcount 4 -j DROP

 iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 995 -i eth0 -j ACCEPT
`````````````````````````````````

But the problem with my iptables is default policy--> drop.  I have also
tested with

iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -m state --state NEW -p tcp --dport 995 -m
limit --limit 1/minute --limit-burst 2 -j ACCEPT
This works fine and limiting the connection 1/min but  a brute force
attack ( like nmap scan) make the port  not useable any more.

What can be the solution for such an iptables ?

Thanks