Re: tc and virtual interfaces

Good morning,

AFAIK iptables does not allow rules applied to eth0:x, the rules must
be applied to the physical interface ( eth0 ).

My suggestion for you is apply traffic shapping to the physical
interface and create rules in table mangle of iptables to identify the
traffic.

By example, create a class with tc to limit the ipsec traffic going
through the ipsec interface and other class for the traffic going
through the tun devices.

Then, using filters created with tc or by rules in the mangle table,
you can identify the traffic, set the class.

The scenary will be a little bit more complicated if you want filter
traffic going through the tunnels both I think that can be acomplished
but this will be added unnecesary complexity to the environment.

Jorge Dávila.

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 6:01 AM, Fabio Marcone<fabio.marcone@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I need to add traffic shaping in a linux router (debian) and I need to
> understand tc behaviour with virtual interfaces.
>
> Examples:
> I have eth0 and eth0:0, if I set a limit on eth0 datarate, is also eth0:0
> involved?
> ...or...
> If I have a tunnel OpenVPN (tun0) on eth0, how is managed data rate limit?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Fabio (I hope this post is not OT)
> --

Jorge Isaac Dávila López
+505 8430 5462
jorgedavilalopez@xxxxxxxxx
---
Esta tierra es Linux. En las noches calladas puede escucharse a las
máquinas Windows re-iniciándose...