Re: Problem with IPv6 tunnel

On Friday 19 June 2009, 10:31 David Balažic wrote:
> I have set up a (SixXS[1]) IPv6 tunnel on my linux router and have the
> problem, that after a while I become unavailable over IPv6 for the
> outside world.
> Then I I perform some IPv6 activity, like "ping6 ipv6.google.com" I
> become accessible again for a while.

This indeed sounds like netfilter is dropping proto-41 packets when the
connection tracker thinks that your connection has timed out.

> A SixXS FAQ entry[2] suggests adding an iptables rule:
>  iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING --proto ! 41 -o [Your IPv4 Interface]
> -j MASQUERADE
>
> This way I get (iptables -t nat -L ...):
>
> Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
> postrouting_rule  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
> MASQUERADE  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
> MASQUERADE !ipv6 --  anywhere             anywhere  # the added rule
>
> I am not an iptables expert, but to me it seems the first MASQUERADE
> rule matches all packets and the new one does not make any difference.
> Can someone confirm that ?

That's absolutely true. The rule from the FAQ is meant to replace your
original rule, exempting proto-41 traffic from masquerading and thus
connection tracking.

Benedikt