Re: TCP simultaneous open using iptables NAT?

Appreciate the lucid reply. Replies inline.

On 5/28/09, Jozsef Kadlecsik <kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  On Wed, 27 May 2009, Saatvik Agarwal wrote:
>
>  > For my research project in school, I am trying to establish TCP
>  > connections when both hosts are behind full-cone NATs using TCP's
>  > simultaneous open functionality. Unfortunately, it seems that iptables
>   > does not support TCP simultaneous open. For my test environment, I
>  > simulate a full-cone NAT using iptables. My iptables rule is exactly
>  > as follows:
>  >
>  > iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
>

> That rule cannot simulate full-cone NAT, because netfilter implements
>  port-restricted cone NAT.

Would both SNAT and DNAT together simulate a full-cone NAT?

>   > According to the BEHAVE requirements outlined in IETF RFC 5382, TCP
>  > simultaneous open must be supported by "well behaved NATs". So is
>  > there a mistake in my rules or does iptables not support simultaneous
>   > open?
>

> The connection tracking subsystem does not support TCP simultaneous open.
>
>  As far as I'm concerned, I do not care whatever RFC is created in trying
>  to push NAT over its limits - that is just a totally wrong track. NAT was
>   invented solely to slow down the depletion of the IPv4 address space in
>  the hope to give more time introducing and *deploying* IPv6 world-wide.
>  And everyone was fully aware that NAT breaks one of the key concempts of
>   IP, the end-to-end connectivity. These "NAT behavioral requirements" RFCs
>  are the results of that breakage (and written exclusively from the point
>  of view of the application designers).

Agreed. I was trying to develop a NAT traversal library solely for application
developers. I guess I'll test with actual NATs/routers instead of iptables.

>   It is no point trying to *put back* end-to-end connectivity on top of NAT
>  when the clear and straight solution is to go to IPv6.
>
>  The end-to-end connectivity is the very reason why I refuse the idea to
>  implement NAT for IPv6 in netfilter. The damage what IPv4 NAT produced
>   hasn't taught us not to repeat the same mistake again, willingly?

I wholeheartedly agree that implementing NAT for IPv6 would be
absolutely bone-headed. :)

Thanks,
Saatvik