Re: Dead mailinglist ???

On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 15:57 +0300, Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> > Is there a problem?
>
> Iptables rules became user friendly! ;-)

I cannot leave that unreplied. I'd really like to know of a system which
offers the same or better fine grained control and so many features
which is significantly more user friendly than iptables ;-)

The complexity of iptables stems for the most part from the complexity
of the problem at hand. Sure you can hide that complexity behind fancy
web front ends and there are plenty of those for iptables, in fact, the
firewall configurations in many consumer router boxes today are just
that.

But doing this also takes away most of the power of iptables or indeed
any other sophisticated firewalling system, and being reduced to that
would be a terrible thing for me at least ;)

In summary, iptables is appropriately user friendly for its feature set,
and if you don't need most of that feature set, simply use a front end
instead.

     Thomas