Re: still can't route using fwmark

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 14:58:02 -0600, Thomas Jacob <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Are you forwarding packets via this box, or do you want to loadbalance
> packets from the local machine? In the latter case the PREROUTING
> stuff needs to go into INPUT/OUTPUT.

Thomas, I would like this to load balance all traffic going out of the local machine (which is gateway for the home LAN), including locally-generated packets.  I was under the impression that PREROUTING happens before everything else and affects all packets, both locally-generated ones and forwarded ones.  My conntrack tables show that locally-generated packets are getting the fwmark.   Could you explain why PREROUTING isn't the right place for the marking rules?