Re: Which "illegal" tcp-fragments should be blocked?

Hi,

After sending you my list I found some bugs. :D
We have the following flags:
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol#TCP_segment_structure)

URG, ACK, PSH, RST, SYN, FIN

There are 64 (=2 to the power 6) variations possible.

So here is my new INVALID list:

ACK,SYN,FIN,RST NONE --> -4 variations. (PSH and URG never should be set alone.)
RST,SYN RST,SYN --> -16 variations.
RST,FIN RST,FIN --> -8 variations.
SYN,FIN SYN,FIN --> -8 variations.

After this we have 28 "valid" variations.

If we do not check PSH and URG flags then only these 7 combinations are valid:

RST
FIN
SYN
ACK
ACK-RST
ACK-FIN
ACK-SYN

I do not know if there is any restrictions of using PSH and URG flags...

In three-way handshake we see: SYN, SYN-ACK, ACK.
In connection termination: FIN, ACK, FIN-ACK.

Check this too: http://kerneltrap.org/node/3072

Swifty

JC Janos írta:
Gaspar,