Re: banning bot ips with ipset

"G.W. Haywood" wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2008, Nigel Heron wrote:
>
> > We're being attacked by a botnet ... started dropping them in
> > iptables, once we got to ~1700 banned ips the server stopped nat'ing
> > completely (not sure why..)
>
> It probably just ran out of steam.  The performance of iptables with
> thousands of rules can be poor if you don't structure them carefully.
>
> > Is ipset stable enough to be deployed on live environments?
>
> I've been using it for years with absolutely zero problems.
>
> > iphash seems like the best set type for us, how many
> > ips can the set handle before there's a noticeable slowdown?
>
> I currently have about 50,000 ipset (iphash) rules on modest hardware,
> with no noticeable performance impact.  There's a good report here:
> http://people.netfilter.org/kadlec/nftest.pdf

Do you understand what the authors means with this statement in section 4.2:

  "As the graph displays, the system handled almost
   3,500,000 concurrent connections at the peak."

I wonder how this is possible... :-)
I think one would need a machine with 54 NIC's (real and/or virtual) attached to it, isn't it? :-)