banning bot ips with ipset

Hi list,
We're using iptables (with shorewall for config) and lvs on our firewall/load balancer. We're being attacked by a botnet alternating between http request floods and syn floods. We have a way to identify the ips that are http'ing and started dropping them in iptables, once we got to ~1700 banned ips the server stopped nat'ing completely (not sure why..) and we were forced to remove the blacklist. We're now banning non north-american class-As to drop half the bots, but it's obviously not a good long term solution. We just came across ipset, but the lack of any feedback on the net (besides on *.netfilter.org) has us a bit worried about real world deployment. Is ipset stable enough to be deployed on live environments? iphash seems like the best set type for us, how many ips can the set handle before there's a noticeable slowdown? any feedback would be appreciated.

obviously, we don't expect ipset to help us with the syn flood, at ~30Mb/s of syn traffic, syn cookies aren't helping either, is there a syn-proxy implementation for linux?

also, if it helps anyone else .. while trying ipset 2.4.5 i had to add:
#include <stdbool.h>
to "kernel/ip_set_setlist.c" to get it to compile.

thanks,

-nigel.