Re: Ports

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 10:00:20 -0800
Mike <mikef1007@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport X -j REDIRECT
> --to-ports Y
>
> I ssh from another box, into the box I issued the above iptable
> tcpdump only showed traffic on port X and nothing on port Y

That sounds correct. tcpdump watches very close to the "wire"; that is,
what comes in/goes out over ethernet or PPP or whatever the link uses.
For incoming traffic it will see before nat has rewritten the packets.

Try watching the -i lo interface, instead of eth/ppp/whatever

--
Paul Evans <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Tel: +44 (0) 845 666 7778