Ports

I am trying to port forward ssh portX to portY on same box

I am listening on both ports using tcpdump.

On the same machine, I telnet "localhost portX" or "portY"  results:
NOTHING seen by tcpdump screen .
I do the same in respect to portY.  I also telnet "IP_number portX or
portY  results: NOTHING seen by tcpdump screen.

BTW, on the ssh-server side, I have portX and portY accepting connections.

This is what I have come up with after some google-search.

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport portX -j DNAT --to :portY

No luck,