RE: Basic Routing

>> Grant is doing too good a job... :-)
>
> Thank you.  :)

You're welcome.. Heheh.

>> Just enable and allow all forwarding, add the routes you need and
>> your magic box will shine like a magic lantern. :^)
>
> Um, mostly agreed.

You mean you don't agree to the shining part?

>> iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
>> iptables -F FORWARD
>> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>> route add -net [...etc...]
>
> The part that I want to point out is that the routes that you
> add will not be on the Linux router, but rather the systems on
> the networks.

Yes, well, in the basic example I was refering to (A <-> C <-> D <-> B),
routers C and D already know the routes to the networks they're connected to
(and I assume that hosts in A and B have a (default) route to C and D resp)
so they don't need extra routes. But they do need forwarding set to ACCEPT
and allowed. In a more complex situation things are different.

>> Have a look at http://www.fwbuilder.org/.
>> I'm not using it, I'm not endorsing it, don't know anything of how it
>> builds it's ruleset, etc. It just looks nice if you're coming from MS
>> ISA and you might actually find it handy.
>
> With out having ever used (but have heard of) FWBuilder my self I
> can't comment on it.  However considering how Daniel is asking how
> things work and appears to be trying to learn, I don't think jumping
> directly in to some sort of application that hides this knowledge from
> him is that good of an idea.

No, I don't think so too. I already pointed him to Oskars iptables tutorial
which I think still mostly holds and I hope he'll read (and understand) it.
Writing your own script is still more flexible and you learn more about what
you're doing and dealing with.

Grts,
Rob