Re: conntrackd and CacheWriteThrough

Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Nov 04, Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Sorry, this setup is no longer supported. At least until we find a sane
>> way to do it. See http://conntrack-tools.netfilter.org/manual.html.
>> Also see: http://marc.info/?l=netfilter&m=122164806109759&w=2
> Indeed I wondered about races between the traffic and state updates.
>
> Load sharing with a multicast MAC address and sources hashing would not
> help me because each one of my firewalls is connected to two core
> routers with no shared L2 domain between them (i.e. each router is
> connected to both firewalls).
>
> My real goal is not sharing load but supporting asymmetrical routing,
> because the firewalls announce the customer network to the core using
> an IGP. If I am not missing anything I could use OSPF and give a lower
> cost to the port with the higher VRRP priority.
> This way I would be able to use normal active/passive conntrack
> replication.

If this can guarantee that only one firewall filters all the traffic or
that the packets follow a symmetrical path in the filtering, that should
be fine.

BTW, I'd appreciate if you send me a couple of lines describing how to
do that so that I can add it to the user manual. I get an email about
OSPF/multi-path routing issues and conntrackd working once a month (at
least), others will appreciate if we can document all possible solutions
in this setup.

--
"Los honestos son inadaptados sociales" -- Les Luthiers